2013 Drama Rated R 134 Minutes
|In Theaters||October 18, 2013|
|On 4K UHD||Not Available|
|On Blu-ray||Not Available|
|On DVD||March 4, 2014|
It is 1841, and Northup (Chiwetel Ejiofor in a gripping performance), an accomplished, free citizen of New York, is kidnapped and sold into slavery. Stripped of his identity and deprived of all dignity, Northup is ultimately purchased by ruthless plantation owner Edwin Epps (Michael Fassbender) and must find the strength within to survive. Filled with powerful performances by an astonishing cast that includes Benedict Cumberbatch, Brad Pitt and newcomer Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years A Slave is both an unflinching account of slavery in American history and a celebration of the indomitable power of hope.
Rated R for violence/cruelty, some nudity and brief sexuality.
Box office gross: $56.6 million. View box office history.
Released by Searchlight Pictures. See more credits.
Mentions in News Stories
- Exciting trailer for Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks' new film
- Best movies of 2015 that you don't know about yet: Tim's list
- 'Boyhood' and 'Birdman' lead this year's Oscar nominations
- Will Angelina Jolie sniff an Oscar nom for directing 'Unbroken'?
- 'Episode VII' adds an Oscar winner & more set pics
- '12 Years' wins Oscar for Best Picture, 'Gravity' grabs most